Re: copy-on-write

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 97 09:17:42 -0700

andre@ml.ee writes:

> If I recall right, squid is sheduled for major rewrite before 1.2 alpha
> appeares. I think, it is quite a right time to start some debate about its
> overall design evolution. Funny, to talk about this stub stuff, on one
> hand there is a desire to merge most of squid's parts into one to avoid
> multiple processes, while on the other hand there is a desire to split
> squid into functionally separate tasks to make code cleaner and more
> readable.
>
> PS. Duane, is there any fundamental redesign planned for 1.2? I think I
> have few interesting ideas to share...

Let me tell what I've been working on so far for 1.2:

    Asynchronous I/O thanks to Stewart Forster.
    Persistent/Pipeline connections between client<->squid
    FTP now handled internally, no more ftpget.
    Accepting HTTP connections on multiple ports
    Lots of code/implementation cleanup.
    Reworking the store.c module so there is middle ground
    between the "VM" and "NOVM" models (in progress).

As of right now, there are still some serious bugs, but I should
have a version out sometime this week.

Duane W.