Re: Last-Modified vs. Expires

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 09:14:18 +0200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Hi

> > Lets assume that there were a single Mars Pathfinder web site and
> > all the world accessed it throught web caches. Would it have worked?
> > I think it would NOT work because with 'no-cache' and IMS, you still
> > have a very large percent of requests going all the way to the
> > origin for validation.
>
> Yes, but you don't need to turn to infinite caching to get around this.
> It is sufficient to simply ignore most of them, but check the object
> once in a while, for example twice a month (based on when the object was
> last verified with the original server).
What about keeping state somehow:

Do something like 'exponential back-off' where you obey the TTL's for
the page, but keep a CRC or something. When the page is next downloaded,
and if it is the same then keep a record saying 'keep this object for
2x the amount it says to keep it'.

I know that there is currently no way of keeping state, and that it
would probably use huge amounts of disk space :)

Oskar

--MimeMultipartBoundary--