Re: PUT requests - using them to chat on IRC servers

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 16:23:03 +0100

Oskar Pearson wrote:

> This does not appear to work in Squid-1.2 and above, but I have
> spent a total of about 30 seconds trying to get it to work: it
> probably can work... Squid-1.2+ complains about the lack of a
> content length

PUT/POST can be used to send any kind of information to any server that
does not fail when receiving a HTTP formatted header. The built in
limitations in Squid 1.2+ is:
1. PUT/POST has to have a content length. Use a abnormally large number
to keep the connection open.
2. It uses simplex communication, so if you'd like to have duplex
communication you have to open two channels (one PUT/POST for sending,
and one GET/PUT/POST for reading), and from a unknown reason the sending
server has to send a certain amount of data before the client sees
anything.

There is not much we can do about this besides recommending the
administrator to only allow safe ports. See default squid.conf file for
instructions.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker