Re: Ideas for the future of Squid

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:05:59 +0800

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> As you all probably know Squid has a number of performance bottlenecks.
> Disk I/O is one and is currently being addressed, but there obviously
> are other major bottlenecks as well, presumabely in the
> networking/select/poll part, and in the amount of data copying and
> header parsing done.
>
> The memory footprint/disk size ratio is currently also way to large,
> making memory a major investment for any large size cache. Memory is
> also quite hard to scale up once the system is installed, making system
> growth quite painful.
>
> Stability is also a problem. Today a single fault in any part of the
> code can bring the whole process down to a quite lengthy restart and
> breaks all ongoing/pending requests.
>
> Squid consists of a number of major function components:
>
> * The client interface accepting requests from the clients
>
> * The object database, keeping track of the current cache contents
>
> * Different protocol modules for retreiving contents
>
> * Storage policy
>
> * On-disk storage/retreial
>
> * Access control
>
> Around these functions there is also a large library of supporting code
>
> * DNS resolving / caching
>
> * Redirectors
>
> * Proxy authentication verification
>
> * Memory handling
>
> * and lots more
>

> I think this should be divided into a number of "independent" processes:
>
> * A number of networking processes accepting client requests, access
> control and fetching content from other servers.
>
> * A number of disk processes (one per fs/spindle)
>
> * A process for DNS, proxy auth caching, long term client statistics
> (for delay pools) and other shared services.
>
> * A master process monitoring all the parts, restarting components as
> neccesary.
>

> Main problem with having multiple processes is how to make efficient
> inter-process calls, and to do this we probably have to make a large
> sacrifice in portability. Not all UNIX:es are capable of efficient
> inter-process communication at the level required, and most requires
> some tuning. However, if layered properly we might be able to provide
> full portability with the sacrifice of some performance on platforms
> with limited IPC capabilities.
>
> The object database I'd like to see distributed to the disk processes,
> where each process maintains the database for the objects it has, with
> only a rought estimate (i.e. like a cache digest) collected centrally.
>
> Any IPC should to be carefully planned and performed at a macro level
> with as large operations as feasible, with proper error recovery in case
> one of the components fail. If a networking process fails only the
> requests currently processed by that process should be affected,
> similary if a disk process fails only the requests currently served from
> that disk process should be affected.
>
> For DNS/proxy_auth/whatever else some limited distributed caching in the
> [...]

Nope, I think you're on to something here. After having my hands deep
in dirty with the storage code (and might be tempted to document it
if I'm asked nicely enough ..) I have to say that it would make much
more sense to have each storage fs thought of as a self contained
object cache, with its own replacement policies. Thats what I've
been aiming towards with my current modio code. (I have a big
patch here I'm reviewing which merges the lru and heap code into
a union, so inside one squid process you have LRU and various
different heaps working based upon your storage dir. Its ugly, but
its a proof of concept.)

When I get closer to finishing the modio code so it implements fully
async disk IO I'd like as many crazy people to try it out. Its
a definite proof of concept for bigger and better things ..

I definitely like this idea. The question is, who else is crazy
to write the code? :-)

Adrian