RE: sdirno/sfileno sizes

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:18:44 +0200

> Generally it showed very little fragmentation problems, even
> came back
> to normal after sudden spikes of mallocs, but it is still prone to
> leaving several chunks around that have only few or single
> used items.
> But I guess this is unavoidable with any kind of chunked allocs.
> Main source of chunked fragmentation was storeentry pool and
> its close
> relatives. It seemed wanted to limit chunk size for multimillion item
> pools. On the other hand, other pools enjoyed large chunks. So I was
> wondering about adding a hint during mempool initialisation.

Sounds intersting. Can you give a few numbers (what pools get the
most from chunking, what pools get the least, what is the
allocations statistic distribution, what is the expected cost
in terms of added complexity of the chunked approach, what is
the memory overhead.

As an added thought, if a hint is given on pool creation, it
might be useful to change the chunk size (in number of entries)
for each pool, to allow for tweaking. Where there is a tendency
to have many chunks with few items in each, make the chunks
smaller. On the converse, when there is no such problem, make them
bigger to benefit the most. Just my .02 euro.

--
	/kinkie