Cache revalidations

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 00:54:25 +0200

Hi.

I want to bring up an long-standing issue in Squid (Bugzilla #7). When
we perform cache revalidations the object headers are not being updated.
Most notably Date and Expires is not updated with the new headers. This
causes quite servere problems for downstream caches as age calculations
gets all screwed up

For details on why this screws up age calculations for downstream
caches, see section 13.2.3 Age Calculations.

What I'd like to discuss is opinions on how to solve this.

a) Always using the time_t fields from the StoreEntry, and make sure
these are updated on cache-revalidations.

b) Rewrite the object with new headers after cache validations

c) Find out a way to update the on-disk headers.

d) Ignore the whole issue like we always have done

Alternative 'a' seems like the most viable one, but will fail miserably
if Squid is restructured to not have an in-memory index. In such case
something like 'b' or 'c' is needed.