Re: TLV to memPools

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 07:19:42 -0600

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Andres Kroonmaa wrote:
>
> > I'm all for using dedicated pools for things that are used often or
> > that are living long. The issue comes up with stuff that lives for
> > around 100 cpu ticks and whose max concurrent usage is 1 or 0. Do we
> > really need to create memPool for such, going to trouble doing so?
> > We have currently about 90 pools in squid, of which typically ever
> > used are 60, and on average inuse at a time of sampling are 50, and
> > about 10 pools are ever used for less than 10 allocs. We can convert
> > all allocs to dedicated pools, but would we care?
>
> For temporary things like TLV I am for not using any allocation as
> described before.
>
> For long lived allocations that are made 10 times I still see a benefit
> in having them pooled. Not for performance but for accounting and
> quality checks. But it is not a high priority issue.

Here's my view. Everything should be pooled. This means that we
need to estimate how much space the thing takes up, and we dodge
the small-allocation-fragmentation bullet. With chunked_mempools
you'll still have fragmentation, but its grouped into a per-pool
setup rather than a big pool of fragmentation.

Thats my 2c.

Adrian