Re: Squid-2.4 memory leaks

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:17:13 +0200

 Andrei,

 Are you sure you are using dlmalloc?
 You need to reconfigure, make clean and make to get it compiled in.
 I can only suggest using dlmalloc, and reduce idle mempool size further,
 until even completely disabling it. Also, on the way in sync reduce
 cache_mem size. When both are reduced to min possible, and there still
 is severe free fragmentation under dlmalloc, then we have a serious
 problem in squid...

On 11 Oct 2001, at 10:57, Florin Andrei <florin@sgi.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2001-10-04 at 11:58, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > Florin Andrei wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmm... I still see aweful memory leaks with 2.4STABLE on Irix, on a
> > > machine that gets like 90 req/second. The process starts at approx 200
> > > MB, then it grows like hell, until it crashes 1...3 days later, when
> > > it's almost 2 GB in size. :-/ Tried dlmalloc, it doesn't help.
> >
> > Any clue on where this memory goes? I.e. any sign in the cachemgr pages?
>
> Ok, here are the most significant MRTG graphs for my proxy:
> - the memory usage (1200.0 k actually means 1200MB = 1.2GB)
> - the number of HTTP requests per second (the graph with req/s)
> - CPU usage as reported by Squid (% out of 100)
> - the amount of traffic going in (kBytes/s)
> All the graphs start very soon after rebooting Squid, so the left margin
> is the status of the proxy right after reinitialising.
>
> On the memory usage graph, the green area is the "Total space in arena",
> and the blue line is the "Total free" - these are parsed by MRTG scripts
> right out of cachemgr.cgi output.
> As you can see, i have lots and lots of free memory, and with no
> explanation as of why. :-)
> I also attached the configuration file of my proxy (slightly edited for
> content :-D).
>
> I'm using 2.4STABLE1 on SGI Irix-6.5, compiled with MIPSPro-7.3 C
> compiler.

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 CTO, Microlink Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 725