Re: SunOS: Fw: Automake and Sun's make

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 13:07:58 +0200

Ok.

Robert, can you please collet the automake-1.5 patch required for proper
generation of src/Makefile.in and put it in
devel.sourceforge.net/amake/?

Also, post a preleminary patch there with the quoting required for
SunOS. For our use the quoting solves the SunOS/Solaris VPATH issue
without impairing any portability, and I'd really like to have VPATH
supported on Solaris Make.. Should also note that VPATH on SunOS/Solaris
worked just fine before we switched to automake.

Before 2.5 is released I want us to have agreed on an automake version
that addresses these two problems. All core committers need to use the
exact same version. If the automake people needs to discuss further how
to deal with the issues we have properly (or not), fine, but I am
getting a bit tired of this now and is not prepared to wait much longer
for an "official" version we can use.

What is certain is that we must document the automake issues before
2.5.PRE-STABLE is released, and do our best in making sure people who
need to bootstrap Squid knows how to proceed.

Yes, bootstrapping is only intended to be used by developers but many of
our users are developers. If bootstrapping isn't a smooth process then
we will loose momentum.