Re: Automake VPATH, error pages install, and a parallell make race

From: <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:45:18 +0100

Robert Collins wrote:

> There is a patch to add in the quotes that we identified for sun
> support. I don't know what the automake team will do with that though.
> Do you want to try it?

A bit of limited time right now, but post the patch and I may give it a
try.

> What I'd like is to make error_directory point to the common root of all
> the error directories, and have a separate language variable for
> determining which language to use. This is a precursor to examining any
> http/1.1 language hints and using those to determine which language to
> return. (At which point the config file entry becomes a list of
> permitted languages, with the first one used when non is selected by the
> client)

Good idea, but lets do this in steps.

> In other words, the extension is overall a "good thing"?

Not neccesarily. Right now it is a "bad thing" as it fails to do it's
job properly, and I think that if the error pages are moved to
sharedstate, then make install should blindly overwrite them. If one
wants customized versions then make a copy at another location, and
change your error_directory.

> I agree. IMO there's quite a bit of tidy up that can be done to
> configure.in, but I don't know the history of why stuff is in there, so
> I haven't been speaking up. I see no reason to copy the cached directory
> structure - cached hasn't been around for some time now :}.

Most is left as nobody has bothered touching these parts of Squid for
quite a while before the transition to automake.

Squid no longer uses the cached directory layout. The layout have
changed several times, making the current layout more of "the Squid
layout".

Now, we have already make quite big changes in the file layout of 2.5,
so this is a very good opportunity to get rid of the last "odd" layout
or configure issues.