Re: about poll and select

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 02 Apr 2003 17:22:43 +0200

ons 2003-04-02 klockan 14.57 skrev atit_ldce:
> Hello SQUID Developer...
> i am using squid 2.5 stable1 with http listening port 3128
> I want to know whether squid handle incoming connection request(
> TCP SYN message am i wrong?) via poll or select()...

TCP SYN is handled by your TCP kernel. Squid does not become involved
until the full TCP handshake have finished.

TCP is processed by the TCP kernel. Squid deals with HTTP which runs
ontop of TCP.

> my goal is as follow:
> after receving SYN packet from client , i want to send ping on 80 to origin server and if it available process will follow normal squid path otherwise it sends NACK to clinet....

This cannot be done in a proxy without also heavily modifying the TCP
kernel of your operating system.

See previous Squid-dev discussion on fully transparent proxying a couple
of weeks back for some related discussions.

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden