Re: GNUregex.c not happy about CFLAGS

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:02:12 +0200

On Thursday 19 June 2003 23.22, Robert Collins wrote:
> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > The new CFLAGS is makes GCC very upset about GNUregex.c.
>
> Oh. I have to confess to never having linked in GNUregex.c...
>
> - Are there updates from upstream?

Extremely likely. The GNU regex package as such is not maintained, but
the GNU regex package was integrated into GNU libc some years ago as
posix/regex.c and include/regex.h and was/is maintained there.
However, I think it since then may have eveolved into something else
and might not be as easy to extract from the rest of the libc
sources. A maintained copy can most likely also be found inside
emacs.

> - Perhaps we could simply suggest the use of an external regex
> library (i.e. libpcre) and remove GNUregex.c completely?

Maybe. Most platforms have very capable regex libraries these days.

> - we can exclude GNURegex.c from the AM_CFLAGS.

Works for me.

> - Or we can (of course :}) fix the code.

Maybe. Probably not very hard.

We have already patched and cleaned the source somewhat compared to
the original copy we started by, mainly due to GCC and other
compilers giving warnings..