Squid DNS caching behaviour

From: Andrew Carroll <acarroll@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:40:17 +0800

Hi all,

Can someone please explain to me the behaviour of squid's DNS
cache/resolver? I'm working on a project that uses WCCP2 with client
source address spoofing (netfilter and tproxy) that needs to use the
original destination address as a hint to selecting the forwarding
address.

Some sites have low TTLs (for load balancing purposes) and this causes
problems when the client's original destination address is different to
the one returned by squid's DNS cache/resolver. Note that this is only
a problem when load balancing two or more servers and using WCCP hash
method for determining the cache to which the packets are to be
forwarded.

Is it feasible to change squid's DNS cache behaviour to keep old expired
IPs rather than flushing them, while adding new IPs when the actual TTL
expires on the currently cached address?

Thanks and regards,

Andrew.