Re: multi-streamed http transfers

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:07:33 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Rod Walker wrote:

> Hi,
> Of course I don`t know the inner workings of Squid but I thought the
> problem would be that the file chunks would always be different depending
> on how many streams the user chose. So even if Squid cached partial file
> objects, it's unlikely the client would ask for exactly those blocks. For
> example, a client downloads a file with 2 streams and then another client
> with 3
> 2 streams: 1-500 & 501-1000 would result in 2 objects cached.
> 3 streams: 1-333,334-666,667-1000 - would these requests give cache hits?

Yes, if the cache is implemented correctly.

> As for the squid-squid, squid-server multi-stream ...
> If the requested object will not be cached because it`s larger than the
> max cachable size, then I can see the problems you mention. But if it
> is to be cached then it could be written straight to disk, and read back
> in a single stream to the client.

True, but how fast should this be done? the fetching of the parts which
we can not yet send to the client. And how do we guarantee we do not run
out of disk space? Concider the case there may be several of these
requests in parallell for different resources.

> I guess you normally keep the objects in
> memory though. I guess my conceptual problem is that I`m talking about
> objects around 1GB, and you objects more like 1MB.

No, I am talking about large objects. For small objects there is no
noticeable benefit for multi-streamed transfers as the majority of the
overhead is the session setup.