Re: c++0x and RHEL5.X

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 01:16:45 +1300

On 30/12/2013 11:21 p.m., Kinkie wrote:
> Hi all,
> we have been talking about mandating c++11 some time in the next few months.
> Today I was trying to rely on a c++0x feature, and I realized that
> RHEL5.X ships gcc 4.1.2, which doesn't support c++0x. RHEL6 ships g++
> 4.4.7, which supports c++0x but not c++11.
>
> Now, what I need to do here is mostly convenience, I can work around it.
> However I am annoyed; we will need to make decision and this fact
> complicates things.

RHEL cannot be a blocker for us. They will be stuck with that
half-working GCC version until around 2020 unless they bump it up in a
service pack release.

CentOS has followed that, but is a bit more flexible with compiler
packages. And those or Fedora compiler packages are usually okay for
RHEL as well.

I was intending to start the serious decision talk late next year,
probably after 3.5 has gone beta or stable. So that we take a good look
at it for the 3.6 timeframe. That will give us at least half of the
major distros fully on the preferred GCC versions and some like CentOS
etc only a short few years away from EOL on the non-working versions
(probably with packages available for the preferred compiler versions).

PPS. Anything we do in the C++11 direction before 2015 will probably
still require macros and wrappings. So look carefully at the features in
regards to whether there is a non-C++11 equivalent and how messy the
wrappers would make the code.

Amos