Re: Upping max file descriptors limits under Linux doesn't work?

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 11:15:00 +0200 (MET DST)

You (Jason Haar) wrote:
> Linux has a great big limitation (as far as I'm concerned) in that
> out-of-the-box it only allows 256 open files per process, and (I think?) a
> max. of 1024 open files. This is probably due to it's single-user
> workstation roots...
>
> Anyway, I've patched a linux kernel here to up that limit (it's been
> discussed recently in the kernel mailing-list), and was then trying to
> recompile squid to take advantage of the larger numbers. According to the
> kernel, and the ulimit command, the new kernel now allows 1024 open files
> per process, and 2048 open files. However, when I run Squid's configure
> prog, it still comes up claiming that 256 is the limit.

Hmm - are you sure /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm point to
your patched kernel source? With Debian for example, these are "real"
directories because they are included with the libc-dev package. If so
NR_OPEN will still be 256...

Mike.

--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/