Re: Overview of source code for squid.

From: Jonathan Larmour <JLarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:10:36 +0000

At 13:45 15/11/96 -0600, SL Tong wrote:
>Hi! I am involved in a class project to modify squid so
>that it performs smart prefetching. However, I was overwhelmed
>by the amount of code. Can anyone point me in the relevant
>directions (link, faq, whatever) as to how to get an overview
>of the source?

You could look at some of the old Harvest cached documents, to give you an
idea of the architecture, but AFAIK nothing talks about the source. UTSL ;-).

What I would recommend is _not_ integrate this directly as a part of squid,
but maybe just add a hook that maybe passes the location of a new stored
file, with respect to the cache directory down a pipe to an external
process, which will inspect the file, see if it has a Content-type header,
if so is it text/html, and then it does the prefetching asynchronously of
the rest of the squid.

Just my 2p.

Jonathan L.
Origin IT Services Ltd., 323 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, England.
Tel: +44 (1223) 423355 Fax: +44 (1223) 420724 E-mail: guess...
-------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]------
These opinions are all my own fault.