Re: What's the best configuration for this setup?

From: Jonathan Larmour <JLarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:50:29 +0000

At 23:11 22/11/96 +1100, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
>This was discussed on freebsd-hackers not so long ago. It is possible to
>bandwidth limit connections by a simple
>
>while () {
> read();
> sleep();
>}

But won't TCP still fill up its receive queue as fast as it can? I suppose
you could _deliberately_ only read a certain number of bytes rather than
everything available to keep the queue nearly full.

But anyway determining how much to wait for is very awkward indeed as you
have to know the physical bandwidth of the connection, which will change all
the time as use is shared. It would also probably lead to oscillating around
the correct value and for most people it is not acceptable for it to be
slower than it could be - any bandwidth determining step would need many Kb
before coming even close to an estimate.

Just my 2p

Jonathan L.
Origin IT Services Ltd., 323 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, England.
Tel: +44 (1223) 423355 Fax: +44 (1223) 420724 E-mail: guess...
-------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]------
These opinions are all my own fault.