Re: Cache partition size and purging

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 97 21:55:14 -0800

craig@interact.net.au writes:

>I have noticed a problem with the way squid deals with muliples cache
>partitions of different sizes.

As Andrew pointed out, Squid gains some efficiencies by using
a single file number (4 bytes) as a pointer to the on-disk
object data. The algorithm which maps file numbers to pathnames
must be consistent. When you add more 'cache_dir's you alter
the mapping algorithm, so cache files will be lost.

Its a similar problem with the size of each cache_dir. We need to
come up with an algorithm whereby you can adjust the relative
sizes without affecting the mapping to pathnames.

Duane W.