Re: running from inittab

From: Stewart Forster <slf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 09:01:47 +1100

> On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Andrew Cormack wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> >
> > > We do it on a big national cache, running Digital Unix 4.0, because, for
> > > unknown reasons, Squid (or RunCache) just does not accept to run from
> > > /sbin/init.d.
> >
> > I'm relieved to hear it's not just me who had problems getting RunCache to
> > work from an init.d file under DEC Unix.

        You need to use the `nohup' command to prevent init's SIGHUP from
getting through when it finishes the init.d stuff. I had the same trouble
a while back with another script thingy I was try to set up. Daemons
completely divorce themselves from the startup script and so don't get the HUP,
but shell scripts are a little more difficult. `nohup' is the easiest way.

        Cheers,

                Stew.

--
Stewart Forster (Security and Web Proxy Cache Administrator)
connect.com.au pty ltd, Level 9, 114 Albert Rd, Sth Melbourne, VIC 3205, Aust.