Re: Blocking Calls and dnsserver avg service

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 13:22:48 +0000

On Tue 14 Jan, 1997, Torsten Sturm <Torsten.Sturm@axis.de> wrote:
>2. Is a "dnsserver avg service time" of 2714 msec
>normal for a good internet connection (2 MBit/s) ??

well, by comparison what does 'dig' and other dns tools give
for a dns lookup at your local servers?

>Should we even run a separate named on the squid machine ?

we don't: would take up too much valuable memory and result
in more context switches and undoubted swapping.

(our caching nameservers get quite a lot of requests but are on
dedicated machines and grow quite large by themselves: 130MB or so
at the moment I notice.) Maybe the slow up is at your local
nameservers?

-- jrg.