Re: Removed xx objects

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 97 08:27:13 -0800

A.Reeh@andromeda.wad.org writes:

>Yes, I know, but I have not set reference_age and none of the objects in
>my cache can be so old, that it has not been used for 364.01 days, my
>cache ins only running for 5 1/2 Weeks now!

I think that you are seeing objects with bad Date: headers get
being removed. Here's why...

Normally Squid keeps separate Timestamp value and a Last-Referenced
value for each cache object. The Timestamp is either the Date: header,
or the current time if there was not Date header. The Last-Referenced
value is "touched" whenever anyone accesses the object.

But a problem arises when you shut down and restart Squid becuase
the swap log does not have a Last-Referenced field. This is
because I changed the swap log format for version 1.1.x before
making the change from TTL's to refresh rules. I didn't realize
that we would want/need to write the Last-Referenced time in the
swap log.

So instead of chaning the log format again, I opted to set the
Last-Referenced time to the Timestamp when reading objects in
from disk. So an object with a bad Date: header will then have
a bad Last-Referenced after a cache restart.

Duane W.