Re: proposed (minor) changes in squid

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:17:05 +0800 (WST)

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Marc van Selm wrote:
>2 (minor) proposals for changes in squid:
>
>1) Accept hostnames with '_'

I don't believe this is a good idea. Resolver libraries and nameservers
alike are moving to enforcing this, as do many non-Unix operating systems.
It's clear from multiple RFCs that _ is definitely not acceptable in
hostnames, and you should notify people who use them of this.

I consider underscores in email addresses in general a 'bad thing', since
various protocols/programs (such as X.400 gateways) have problems with
them, and since they are used as a SQL wildcard character. But people
insist on using them.

There is no reason why squid should move back into the past of supporting
broken DNS, just as the Net in general is getting away from it.

David.