Re: What if Squid goes down?

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 23:43:06 +0000

On Wed 10 Dec, 1997, "Tom Minchin" <tom@interact.net.au> wrote:
>2) the fall over works best when connection is refused on the proxy port, if
>the machine dies completely or is isolated from the client, it can take 30 to
>120 secs for the next proxy to be brought online (it would be nice if you

In my testing of this, some time ago, neither netscape 3, 4, or IE 3.02
actually noticed that they got 'connection refused' on the proxy port, but just
carried on trying for a timeout period.

IE 3.02 was very erratic in the time it took, sometimes it didn't notice at
all.
Netscape took around 45 seconds.

Netscape's warning dialog box was quite a bit clearer than IE's. IE didn't
really inform the user what was going on.

(I've already commented on the fact that autoconfiguration does not work
correctly with IE 4.0., and IE 4.0 does not operate correctly when it is
enabled. I've had reports locally that 4.01 does work, but I've not verified it
and I have my doubts).

James.