Re: Summary of Transparent proxy/How-to

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:54:11 +0100

Dancer wrote:

> On the other hand, if I wanted to make it possible to cache, I might return
> a header field as:
> Location: http://www.brisnet.org.au/autoproxy.pac/203.4.148.34

Only if done as a "See other" redirect (HTTP status code 303).

Location does NOT tell the client a "corrected" URL on a requested
object, it can only tell the client that a object is moved and should be
fetched from another location. The Location header is only relevant as
part of the different redirect responses (3xx) or when PUT/POST creates
a new object (201). It is not defined for other responses.

See rfc2068, section "14.30 Location".