yet another RAM comment

From: Chuck Pitre <chuck@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 12:24:24 -0500 (EST)

Here is the stats on squid when running top (for me;)

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME WCPU CPU COMMAND
  217 root 2 0 11160K 11168K select 2:13 0.50% 0.50% squid

now what I don't like is the RAM usage... right now it seems to be holding
at 11.. mind you those stats aren't from peak...

I reboote the machine at peak time and squid was using a little un 1
meg... everytime someone hit the proxy it would go up by about a 100k or
so (that's normal.. nothign wierd here..) My problem is that, it never
flushed out of the ram.. it always stayed at 1.1 meg and as more people
hit the machine it would slowly keep on going up... we tested this by
sitting a 95 box beside us with IE 3.02 (puke) and kept hitting cached
pages and uncached pages!! everytime I hit an uncached web page.. the ram
went up and stayed up.....

11 meg isn't a problem for me RIGHT NOW.. but, as usage grows it will
grow... this poses a slight problem :)

if anyone has any input.. it would be greatly appreaciated :)

Chuck Pitre chuck@vianet.on.ca
ViaNet Internet Solutions Technical Consultant
128 Larch Street ph: 675-0400
P3E 5J8 fax: 675-0404

Windows95: <win-doz-nin-te-fiv> n. 32 bit extensions
  and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8
  bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
  microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that
  can't stand 1 bit of competition.