Help with DNS

From: Andre Coetzee <acoetzee@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 11:49:04 +0200

I am using squid-1.1.18 with diald-0.6 on a slackware Linux 2.0.12

The linux host spends most of the time disconnected from the internet.

I need to run bind (named) in order to try and resolve DNS lookups for
cached items locally, but I am not having too much success.

I am suffering from incredibly long timeouts for DNS lookups when I am
disconnected from the internet.

I have set the forwarders option in named.boot to my ISP's ip.
I have also tried the option forward-only. These are the only
suggestions I can see in the named documentation for a dialup
or "not permanently connected" internet connection.

It seems that named, unlike squid, only stores its cache in memory,
and each time I restart the computer, it starts with a fresh cache.
It seems not too far-fetched to imagine that someone must have patched
a version of named to save the named memory cache to disk on shutdown,
and re-read the contents on startup ??? Anyone know of such an
implementation of bind?

I can let you have my config files, or log output if required, but at
this time I would be quite happy to simply receive some suggestions for
options which I can check or read up on?

I have already spent an incredible amount of time with the
documentation, and I am on the verge of giving up.

The log shows "ns_forw: Network is unreachable" for my ISP at startup
and at irregular intervals. I can live with that, but I can't live with
the long timeouts delays!

Thanks
Andre