Re: Squid is becoming slow with 3000 ACL's ...

From: Carlos Maltzahn <carlosm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 14:22:23 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Duane Wessels wrote:

    Apiset Tananchai writes:

>Hi,
>
>Recent version of squid should store ACLs in SplayTree which will make
>search time far better than linear. I think in older squid you have to
>enable it with
>
>./configure --enable-splaytree
>
>not sure about 1.1.x though, maybe you have to edit src/Makefile and
>uncomment something..

    It is not possible to use SPLAY trees with regular expressions.

    SPLAY (and other) trees require "sortable" keys.

    For example, strcmp() will return less-than, equal-to, or greater-than zero
    result codes. Thus it is sortable.

    A regular expression comparison only retusn equal, or not-equal.

You could sort them by match frequency, No? The most frequently matching
patterns are then near the root of the tree.

But that's only possible if you can freely shuffle around these regular
expressions. My understanding is that ACLs are order sensitive. Also, you
would need to start out with some default order and update it frequently

Carlos