Re: Problems downloading ASCII documents

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 01:56:33 +0200

gustavo wrote:

> I'm runnig Squid 1.1.22 with transparent proxy. When I try to
> download an ASCII document ( i.e.: at ftp://etinc.com/pub/linux,
> when I try to dowload README I'm asked to save document instead
> of navigator show it on the screen.).
> What's the problem??

That it is hard to guess if a file can be processed as text, or if it
really is binary data. Some web clients can't save a text/plain file
without changing it on the way, and because of this Squid 1.1.X defaults
to a binary file type when it does not know for sure that the file is
text.

I'd recommend you to look at Squid 2.0 where this is fixed, among a
large number of other FTP annoyances in Squid 1.1.X.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker