Re: Squid 2.0, Async IO, Solaris 2.6

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:48:41 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, John Sloan wrote:

> I'm getting the occasional entry in cache_log on all three of my caches:
>
> 1998/10/20 16:05:08| aio_queue_request: WARNING - Request queue
> growing. Queue Length = 65
>
> I've already increased NUMTHREADS from 16 to 32. Anyone have any handle
> on how many is a sensible number? The busier caches are doing approx
> 25 hits/second at peak times, if that's relevant.

It depends on several factors. One of the factors is the throughput of your
file system. If FS is much "slower" than network, no NUMTHREADS will work
without warnings. Note that FS performance is not only "read/write" but also
"open/close/unlink". Also note that queue length are very unstable and may
experience peaks. If you do not get those warnings often, just ignore them, I
guess.

Alex.