Re: What is squid able to handle?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 22:41:45 +0100

Peter Salvage wrote:

> Hi Henrik
>
> Please forgive this newbie question - I've only just started
> learning Linux and have just installed Squid on my machine at
> home. Would I use the 'top' command to see how much memory Squid
> is using?

top is one of may commands you can use to find the process size.

ps -l -p `cat /usr/local/squid/logs/squid.pid`
is another

cat /proc/`cat /usr/local/squid/logs/squid.pid`/status
is a third

and there is a couple of other.

the ` in the above commands is backquotes. The whole backquote evaluates
to the pid of squid. So if Squids pid is 6348 then the above could read
cat /proc/6348/status

RSS is how much memory your Squid occupies
SIZE is total size of the Squid process

The difference between them is how much of Squids allocated memory that
is swapped out on disk, or never accessed.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker