Re: "Uncacheable" documents getting cached...

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:06:24 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, John Line wrote:

> incorrect timestamps as though it were), documents which should be
> uncacheable (no last-mod or expires timestamps, etc.) may be cached and cause
> problems in consequence.]
>
> Is it (a) reasonable and (b) feasible for Squid to declare "bogus" (more
> specifically, uncacheable) documents which at the time they are received
> have a Date: (or Last-Modified:) header which is in the future by more than
> a trivial (few seconds, minutes at the most) amount? The alternative would
> be to save the cache server's current date/time instead of the Date: header
> value, but that's potentially bad in a variety of ways.

I do not have a solution, just an observation.

Duane has hacked our caches to warn about origin server clocks being wrong.
When the "fuzz" value was set to a few minutes, we were flooded with warning
messages. Even a delta of one hour generated quite a few warnings. There was
at least one server off by a year! :)

Alex.