Re: digest only peering?

From: Bruce Campbell <bc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 23:06:59 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Jose Manuel Sanchez Bretones wrote:

> bc@thehub.com.au said:
> > cache-digests work wonder when all of your siblings can deal with
> > false hits... but if you are peering with other isps who are as stingy
>
> You can avoid this problem simply using the miss_access directive in
> squid.conf.
>
> If your sibling specify "miss_access deny your_cache" you obtain only
> the real hits from it and the time response penalty should not be too
> large.

ah, no.

The user gets the error message saying "Access denied", because when my
cache thinks it has a successful cache-digest hit on another cache, it
goes and asks that cache to hand over the object. My cache doesn't
send an icp query checking if that object is still there.

If the object is not there (mismatched refresh patterns or clocks), or it
needs to be refreshed, and the above miss_access is in place on the other
cache, my cache will merrily return the other cache's 'Access Denied' or
'Forwarding Denied' message to my customer.

Ideally, my cache should say 'oh well, I'll discard that response and try
via icp to my other siblings or my parents', or it should send an icp
query just to the sibling it thinks (via cache-digest) has the object,
thus treating cache-digests as merely a 'which sibling is *most* likely to
have the object'

--==--
Bruce.

Sysadmin, TheHub.