Re: illigal character in hostname

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:24:51 +0100

At 01:17 PM 11/24/98 +0100, Robin Breyl wrote:
>Hello,
>

>Squid compiled fine, but... I get two major problems.
>First it is complaining about the hostname of the machine
>it runs on:
>
>> urlParse: Illegal character in hostname 'mymachine1_0'
>
>Changing the hostname is not an option in our environment here,
>so I wonder if this check for the own hostname can be disabled
>either in the config file, or in the source code.

RFC952:

  1. A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
   to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
   sign (-), and period (.). Note that periods are only allowed when
   they serve to delimit components of "domain style names". (See
   RFC-921, "Domain Name System Implementation Schedule", for
   background). No blank or space characters are permitted as part of a
   name. No distinction is made between upper and lower case. The first
   character must be an alpha character. The last character must not be
   a minus sign or period. A host which serves as a GATEWAY should have
   "-GATEWAY" or "-GW" as part of its name. Hosts which do not serve as
   Internet gateways should not use "-GATEWAY" and "-GW" as part of
   their names. A host which is a TAC should have "-TAC" as the last
   part of its host name, if it is a DoD host. Single character names
   or nicknames are not allowed.
>Any help welcome.

Sorry, but you will have to change the hostname if you think standards are
useful. Squid can be configured to cheat but also DNS-servers might reject
this. Bind8.x rejects this (normally) if you have this in your configuration.
Bind will not accept this zone. Also a secondary bind8.x will not accept this
behaviour from the "master" so in fact you are not doing yourself a vafour if
you don't change the name.

(I admit this is not easy to find in the stack of RFC's but now you know...)

Marc

> Robin Breyl
>--
> / \
> | Robin Breyl Geno RZ |
> | ------------- |
> | Friedrich-Ebert-Anlage 2-14 |
> | 60325 Frankfurt am Main |
> | |
> | E-Mail (Office): robin.breyl@gis-online.de |
> | E-Mail (Home): robin.breyl@frankfurt.netsurf.de |
> | |
> | Tel.: +49 69 / 75690-369 Fax.: +49 69 / 75690-925 |

Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
Tel: +31 70 3142454
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm