Re: Invalid URL

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 10:01:19 +0100

Clement wrote:

> While trying to retrieve the URL: /newspaper/gbindex.htm

Either you have a broken trans-proxy setup, or your browser got totally
confused and sent a non-proxy request to the proxy.

If you are using transproxyd then the cause most likely lies here. The
copy of transproxyd I have (0.4) does NOT support persistent
connections.

A workaround that works for most browsers is to configure Squid into
thinking that it is a transparent proxy / accelerator with no IP
support.

# Use a default server when we fail to find the intended destination
httpd_accel_host www.your.domain
# Tell Squid to look for the Host: header if needed.
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
httpd_accel_with_proxy on

Another option is to skip transproxyd all together. Squid 2 can
interface to IP-Filter.

# Configure Squid with IP-Filter support
configure --enable-ipf-transparent ...
make clean
make install
# Update squid.conf
httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
# Enable Squid to read the IP-Filter NAT device
chmod a+r /dev/ipfnat

and restart Squid.

A thirt option is to hack the Squid sources to disable persistent client
connections. Perhaps we should have a squid.conf option for this, but
currently you have to hack the source to disable persistent client
connections.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker