Re: FTP ASCII/BINARY problem

From: Mogens Kjaer <mk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 15:22:17 +0100

David J Woolley wrote:

> > > Alternatively, use an RFC 1738 type code (";type=i" in this case, I
> > > think).
> >
> > I can't. I have no control over the site from which the download
> > takes place.
> >

> The remote site is irrelevant. The machine that gateways to ftp will
> convert this into an FTP "TYPE I" command. That machine should
> either be your machine (no proxy) or the proxy doing the gatewaying.
> An FTP server that doesn't understand TYPE I is severely broken.

My problem was, that the user who does the download doesn't go
through a directory listing as produced by squid, but instead
clicks on a URL that points to a file on the FTP server. This URL lacks
the ;type=i stuff.

> (It is possible that Netscape may still be confused by a text/plain
> media type from the proxy.)

I think this is the problem... How was this done in the "old" version
of squid (this being 1.1.20)? I didn't have this problem at that time...

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08