Re: what are differences between squid and firewall ?

From: David Zanetti <dave2@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:56:43 +1200 (NZST)

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, XXXXXX wrote:

> what are differences between squid and firewall ?

Squid is an HTTP-style proxy/cache. It makes requests on behalf of clients
(proxy) and can short-circuit requests by returning a local copy (cache).

A firewall is a number of things. In the most limited meaning, it's a
single point between two networks which has some controls on what may
pass between the two networks. However, that is not the only way a
firewall can be implemented.

Squid is not a firewall. It is often used _with_ a firewall to allow
access, but you cannot drop Squid on a box and call it a firewall.

[Don't even get me started about so called "firewall products" .. I've
already been having more than enough of that argument with my
employers :)]

| (__) | David Zanetti <dave2@earthling.net> |
| ( oo | Unix Systems Administrator, Wellington City Council |
| /\_| | Moderator, nz.politics.announce |