Large cache - performance tips

From: Adam Neat <adamneat@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:03:02 +1000

Hello,

we appear to having problems with one of our clustered proxy servers.

We're running a stable 1.1.22 on a secondary proxy server but is possibly
having some peformance issues.

We're running 106Gb of cache and 1Gb of RAM on this server.

Its running on an Intel P II 450 box and hasnt had any problems in the
past.

A few clients have been suggesting that there are some performance issues,
but then agian, we're getting nearly 20 - 25 million hits a day (when the
winds blowing the right direction and its not raining) on a good day.

On the local networks aorund the admin offices or operations centre, we can
download files and pages with no problems or obvious performance issue.

We run wiuth 64Mb of Ram as our cache_mem option and have the cache split
over multiple SCSI II UW drives (9.1Gb UW IBM).

the OS is a Red Hat 5.1 box with the normal security patches and the likes.

any one have any tips or similar setup which may be providing good results?

We dont use the swap so its not thrashing and the cpu doesnt reach above
0.20.

Regards

adam

                  IPAX Systems