RE: Outlook and HTTP-mail server

From: Mike Barnes <strepsil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 12:43:13 +1000

> draft-ieft-http-v11-spec-06, HTTP/1.1 draft standard
> 13.10, last paragraph
>
> A cache that passes through requests for methods it does not
> understand SHOULD invalidate any entities referred to by
> the Request-URI.

Doesn't the following section (13.11), imply that unknown methods MUST be
passed through? This issue was raised on the WebDAV list a while back.

Or shoot me down in flames - I must admit to not having read the draft
standard with full concentration going. Just a casual flip through. But I am
biased in that I'm an avid follower of WebDAV and am working with it a lot
these days. I think it'd be really nice if Squid would pass these things
through. Especially when I'm trying to use DAV in a transparent cache
environment and I have no choice in the matter. :(

Mike.

(I feel like I'm in a biblical debate - "Oh, but does not the book of HTTP
13:11 state that unsupported methods shall be passed through?" "No good
fellow, for if you refer to HTTP 13:10 you will see that those who pass
through unsupported methods will be damned for all eternity!")