RE: Performance ..

From: Julian Richardson <JRichardson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:47:23 +0100

>> Maybe it's a silly questions, however, have anyone compared Microsoft
>> Proxy Server 2.0 with Squid 2.2Stable3? It would be fun to see how much
>> faster Squid is (I guess it is faster)

Hmm, I'm looking at replacing Proxy Server 2 with Squid at the moment
(I'd expect squid to be faster and more stable, but for the management
here it's purely a money-saving thing)

No hard figures at the moment - it's very difficult to get an idea of
speed just by running benchmarking software due to delays on our local
network, but I'm gradually loading up the squid server with more and
more people and so far it's hanging together.

The MS proxy server's a P400, 256MB ram, 14GB of disk (UW SCSI, but I'm
not sure how many physical disks there are).

The (current) Squid server is a P166, 64MB ram, 4GB of disk (IDE
unfortunately, two 2GB disks with the cache on one disk and the rest of
the system on the other).

So far there's no noticable drop in perfomance for *cached* pages on the
Squid server using a browser compared to the MS proxy server. However,
the MS proxy's got a bit of an unfair advantage not only in terms of
resources but in terms of it's existing cache too.

All this is on token ring rather than ethernet which may be a problem -
I wouldn't expect the standard Linux token ring driver to be as heavily
optimised as a typical ethernet driver just because of the amount of
people who use token ring compared to ethernet. Madge seem to support
linux these days, so I'll try one of their cards in place of the IBM one
I'm currently using (someone emailed me the other day and reported at
least a 2x speed improvement in network throughput with the Madge card
compared to the IBM). I'm hoping that the Madge driver is sharable too
so I can throw two Madge boards into the machine and hopefully tweak the
speed a little. I'll try to source some SCSI disks for the Squid server
too as that should help matters...

I'll let you know how it goes, early days at the moment!

cheers

Jules