Re: status 400 got cached!

From: Graham Somers <gsomers@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 12:13:41 +0200

Hi

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 1999, Graham Somers wrote:
>
> > I am seeing a lot of these in the logs. Can anyone give some
> > advice on what is causing it or if it is a problem or should be
> > ignored.
>
> Have not seen that one. It is a problem that should not be ignored. From
> looking at the source code, I cannot see how 400s could get cached during
> normal operation. The status check is their for mostly paranoid reasons.
>
> Do you get a valid digest from proxy2 eventually?

It seemed to be pretty random, digests would be transferred normally
then suddenly a run of status 400 got cached! then be fine again.

> Does proxy1 have any peers that may ask it for proxy2's digest? How long
> were digest enabled on proxy1 and proxy2?

Not as far as I know, proxy2 is a parent to proxy1. proxy2 has a parent
of proxy3, proxy1 also uses proxy3 as a parent. proxy1 and proxy3 have
direct internet access, proxy2 is behind a firewall. proxy1 is our main
customer proxy. There are about 40 downstream sites running squid
versions 1.22 up to STABLE3 and accessing proxy1. These all have proxy1
as their only proxy.

The machines have both had digests enabled since 2.2STABLE3 came out.

> I suggest that you enable cache digest debugging and see if it sheds some
> light. If it does not, please send the debugging output to squid-bugs.
> debug_options ..., 72 6
> Let it go through at least two attempts to fetch a digest...

I have enabled debugging and the proxies have run for about 12 hours and
the problem has not reoccurred,
only valid digests so far.

I will leave debugging on and let you know if it starts again.

Graham

--
Graham Somers				Tel:	+263  4 705072
Systems Administrator			Fax:	+263  4 791075