Re: Incomplete/halting downloads

From: Berend Berendsen <Berend.Berendsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 16:47:20 +0100

>My employer went to www.optigold.com & attempted to download 3 things (2
exe & 1
>pdf), all of which failed. I transparently proxy all our modem connections
>(including his) & have no other (apparent) problems apart from a weird
gliche
>with Netscape that several users have also reported. What happens is the
>download starts quickly, gets to a certain point & hangs there. When I
bypassed
>our proxy (Squid 2.2STABLE4), it did the same thing only at a slower rate
so I
>am very sure that it isn't my proxy which is buggering things up (perhaps
it is
>a transparent proxy upstream). Let me put a finer point on it, Squid,
thanks to
>some brilliant people on this list, a lot of sweat by me & some very nerve
>wracking times, absolutely screams in all other circumstances where it is
>possible for it to do so (ie the other end is quick).
>
>But this has prompted me to ask these questions:
>
>Are there too many circumstances to easily describe what could cause a
download
>through a trans-proxy to fail where a direct would have worked? If not, is
>there somewhere I can read about these or can someone post an answer to the
>list?
>
>If there are too many, what would be the most common causes?
>
>Is it possible for a partial file to be held in cache (disk &/or memory) &
what
>kind of circumstances could lead to that?
>
>Is it likely over a fairly reliable & quick connection that a file will
become
>corrupted as a consequence of having been run through Squid?
>

>Regards to all,
>Marc
>
>(I changed my address from info@talent.com.au to better manage my mail for
>anyone that knows me there)

I'm experiencing the same problems using squid2.2STABLE4.

First I thought that it was a time-out problem (client_lifetime or something
like that) but the incomplete downloads (mainly of large files) seem to
occur at random times. It could be a small time-out of a few seconds, I'm
using the configuration defaults for these. I also thought it might be some
kind of a memory problem, I'm also using the configuration defaults for
this.

I didn't find a solution for this problem yet,

Berend