Re: Optimizing squid

From: Sys Admin <stacka@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 13:44:10 -0500 (EST)

-federico

that sounds like a router thing. I would guess (though i could be wrong
here..since i am not a network engineer).

what whould probably have to happen is the two gateways have to use BGP
(Border Gateway Protocol) to load balance between the two or find the
shortest path out on the internet. Also, your network would have to be
automonous, at least to your ISP..b/c essentially you doing the load
balancing could change the routing tables of your ISP...some ISP's may not
like that. I also think your ISP would have to know that you are load
balancing, b/c outgoing traffic may be load balanced, but the core routers
of your ISP wouldn't know how load balance between your two gateways for
incoming traffic to your site.

i wouldn't think squid could choose between the gateways...but rather the
OS it self could. Does the squid box do routing dynamically? if it
does..it chooses a default gateway...hence requests the your local routers
do not know about would be sent to your default gateway.

maybe having two squid boxes, one on each gateway...each quering each
other..could solve your problem. but i don't know if that would be true
load balancing

-andrew

Andrew Stack
UNIX Systems Administrator
State University at New Paltz
Phone: 914.257.3130

GNU/Linux - The choice of a GNU generation.....