Cache Parameters

From: Simon Bryan <sbryan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:16:54 +1100

Hi,
Reading the discussion going on about hit rates in another thread has
prompted me to have a closer look at my cache.

We are running with 32Mb RAM and a 2GB HDD, Mandrake 6. We also run
Apache and Sendmail.

In my 'innocence' I have allocated 1gb for the cache and 16 toplevel
directories each with 256 subfolders. Which gives over 4,000 directories.

We generally run at about 30% requests and 20-25% bytes - a lot of the
information used is dynamic in nature such as the newspaper sites or painful
things like webmail.

The cache has grown to 860Mb and has used 00,01 and 02 down to 29 of
the directories (this after several months running).

Would it make any sense to trim the size of the cache and the number of
directories (I don't really mind a rebuild of the cache if I have to). I have read
references to 'wasting innodes' and keeping the cache size to a weeks
downloads (about 500mb). I am not really clued up on 'object size' etc.

Any hints appreciated,

--
Simon Bryan                    sbryan@olmc.nsw.edu.au
Information Technology Manager sbryan@mpx.com.au