Re: Proxy Authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 00:12:28 +0100

Michael Strvder wrote:

> > acl authenticated_users proxy_auth REQUIRED
>
> What do you mean exactly with this line? What is
> required.

RTFM. It is well documented.

> > For some time there has been an erronous example in the distributed
> > squid.conf. The text documentation is however correct.
>
> It's still erronous and I found no further documentation in the source
> distribution of Squid. My /etc/squid.conf says:
> # acl aclname proxy_auth [ refresh ]
> # # Use an EXTERNAL authentication program to check
> username/password
> # # combinations (see authenticate_program).
> # #
> # # 'timeout' is the time a checked username/password
> combination
> # # remains cached (default = 3600 secs). If a wrong password
> # # is given for a cached user, the user gets removed from the
> # # username/password cache forcing a revalidation.

This is NOT the current (squid-2.2) distribution.

If you have upgraded from an earlier Squid release remember to look in
squid.conf.default for documentation, not squid.conf. My recommendation
is to clean squid.conf from any documentation comments once you have a
working setup. The net result is that it is much easier to get an
overview of your configuration, and less cause to confusion when you
upgrade move to another Squid release.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker