Re: How to configure squid with RAM >> disk?

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:15:28 -1000

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 06:38:58PM -0500, Peter Jenny wrote:
> I'd like to configure squid to use only RAM and no disk. Short of that I'll
> settle for using little (e.g. 1 MB) of disk and a lot of RAM. ...
> but at any rate that's not what I want to hear :-)
> I may also try putting the cache_dir on a Solaris tmpfs (RAM based) file
> system; that may "fool" squid.
> ]

  That's what I've tried doing, and what I'd recommend as the safest
way of doing it for now. According to the developers, Squid's use of
main RAM it's given is far from optimum with the current code, whereas
it makes pretty good use of what it sees as disk.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.