Re: sendfile() and NUMTHREADS questions

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 15:11:03 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Doug Renner wrote:

> What are some NUMTHREADS values that people are using? All of my boxes
> were getting slapped about when I used 16 and they occasionally report
> problems w/ 64. I am now compiling w/ 256. I saw the 'ridiculous' length
> in aiops.c (STABLE5), so I didn't think I was too bad of trouble, but
> *something* I saw said that 16 should work in most cases. I am running on
> 5 spindles (4 for cache 1 for OS).

My two proxies (2.2.STABLE5) are running with NUMTHREADS=96; they used to
have 8 spindles (1 for system, 1 for logs on one SCSI adapter; 6 for cache on
a second SCSI adapter) - most recently, one was converted to only 5 spindles
(3 for cache instead of 6). These are Sun Ultra Enterprise 2 MP servers.

I kept hitting the "running out of threads" message with either 16 or 32
threads. I didn't try 48 or 64, just jumped straight to 96.

Cheers..

dave