Re: wccp with a L4 switch

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 10:29:23 +0100

Sandra Jaque wrote:

> It is an interesting idea to implement a linux "L4 switch" but
> I want to use a comercial solution because the throughput they
> have. I imagine the amount of packets per second they can
> manage it is not achievable with a linux box.

Then you have to find a "L4 switch" which implements a virtual WCCP node
(or cluster). I don't think there is any, but ask the vendors for
details.

Another idea is to not use a separate "switch" at all but let the WCCP
router do the switching in the way WCCP is supposed to be used. It is
quite easy to build a WCCP node software which forwards all traffic to
another "transparent cache" in case WCCP/GRE can't be supported by the
cache (or cache server platform).

-
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker