Re: [SQU] Real Player Problems

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: 21 Feb 2001 17:46:09 +0000

"Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com> writes:
> As for the Relplayer thing, I noticed I can get archived real player info,
> but I have yet to successfully get streaming/realtime realplayer data over
> squid.

It all depends upon what the source is making available.

The latest realplayer versions are very good at finding "a way
through", though they don't always therefore pick what you'd like.

(Nowadays I have an raproxy, for pna, and rtspd on my gateway system,
but still need to make the player use TCP in order for it to not fall
foul of packet filtering. But the FAQ entry pointed to by someone
earlier in this thread is still valid.)

Incidentally, does anyone know which approach the commercial caches
(Inktomi, NetCache) are taking to their caching and splitting of RTSP
streams? I've not yet noticed one out there in the wild doing it - but
then I might just not know how to recognise it happening.

James.