Re: [SQU] transparent proxy of https needed (I have RTFM'd)

From: Ian <ian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:41:08 +1100

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 12:59:27AM -0600, Joe Cooper wrote:

> becomes the client for that server. The connection between the two
> parts is broken and the identity of each is hidden (from the ssl
> standpoint). And there is nothing short of decrypting and recrypting
> every packet that comes through that will solve that. Thankfully, it's
> still no mean feat to crack 128bit RSA, and we certainly can't do it inline.

Joe,

this does make sense, thanks. What still stumps me, and perhaps I'm forgetting something completely obvious, is why it is possible to "proxy" https when I set my browser's proxy to the same squid server. Ie: why doesn't transparent work, whle "explicit" proxying does?

cheers,
Ian.

--
Ian Cumming, ian@semisphere.org
"The number of Unix installations has grown to 10, with more expected."